Gautama Buddha belonged to an affluent family. He had all luxuries, richness, and wealth to live life happily. He was greatly affected by the suffering of the people around him. Having everything couldn’t make him happy. Finally, he gave up on his lavish life and left his splendid house to find the right meaning of life.
As he wanted to find a way to a more fulfilling and peaceful life, he decides to become an ascetic. He went to Alara Kalama, who was a teacher, to acquire knowledge and also learned mediation. Later, started spreading his knowledge and wisdom to his disciples. His teachings became popular and accepted, which led to the foundation of Buddhism.
Buddhism was founded by Siddhartha Gautama more than 2,500 years ago in India. With about 470 million followers, scholars consider Buddhism one of the major world religions.
These Gautama Buddha quotes will help you find your spiritual path. In times of confusion and ambiguity, this will guide you to choose what is right. Best Buddha Quotes!
1. “Do not dwell in the past; do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment.”
2. “Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”
3. “No one saves us but ourselves. No one can and no one may. We ourselves must walk the path.”
4. “Health is the greatest gift, contentment the greatest wealth, faithfulness the best relationship.”
5. “Those who are free of resentful thoughts surely find peace.”
6. Without health life is not life; it is only a state of languor and suffering – an image of death.
7. Even death is not to be feared by one who has lived wisely.
8. “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.”
9. We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
10. You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection.
11. To keep the body in good health is a duty… otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear.
12. Hatred does not cease by hatred, but only by love; this is the eternal rule.
13. You will not be punished for your anger; you will be punished by your anger.
14. Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without.
15. The mind is everything. What you think you become.
16. If you are quiet enough, you will hear the flow of the universe. You will feel its rhythm. Go with this flow. Happiness lies ahead. Meditation is key.
17. To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others.
18. Everything that has a beginning has an ending. Make your peace with that and all will be well.
19. You cannot travel the path until you have become the path itself.
20. You only lose what you cling to.
21. All that we are is the result of what we have thought.
22. Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.
23. It is better to travel well than to arrive.
24. The trouble is, you think you have time.
25. “A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless then he is in truth called wise.”
26. “There is no fire like passion, there is no shark like hatred, there is no snare like folly, there is no torrent like greed.”
27. True love is born from understanding.
28. “Purity or impurity depends on oneself, no one can purify another.”
29. The tongue like a sharp knife… Kills without drawing blood.
30. “Long is the night to him who is awake; long is a mile to him who is tired; long is life to the foolish who do not know the true law.”
31. “You are the community now. Be a lamp for yourselves. Be your own refuge. Seek for no other. All things must pass. Strive on diligently. Don’t give up.”
32. “The Way is not in the sky; the Way is in the heart.”
33. “Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.”
34. “Few among men are they who cross to the further shore. The others merely run up and down the bank on this side.”
35. “He who loves 50 people has 50 woes; he who loves no one has no woes.”
36. “When you like a flower, you just pluck it. But when you love a flower, you water it daily.”
37. “The teaching is simple. Do what is right. Be Pure.”
38. “The ignorant man is an ox. He grows in size, not in wisdom.”
39. “To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent. ”
40. “The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows.”
41. “From a withered tree, a flower blooms”
42. “Awake. Be the witness of your thoughts. You are what observes, not what you observe”
43. “Work out your own salvation. Do not depend on others.”
44. “Whoever sees me sees the teaching, and whoever sees the teaching sees me.”
45. “A jug fills drop by drop.”
46. “Victory breeds hatred. The defeated live in pain. Happily the peaceful live, giving up victory and defeat.”
47. “If you are facing in the right direction, all you need to do is keep on walking.”
48. “Resolutely train yourself to attain peace.”
49. “Know well what leads you forward and what holds you back, and choose the path that leads to wisdom.”
50. “Following the Noble Path is like entering a dark room with a light in the hand; the darkness will all be cleared away, and the room will be filled with light.”
Read: Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life – Book Review
Let me know your favorite Buddha quote that you follow in your life in the comment section.
Share the Best Buddha quotes with your loved ones!